If you are a recipient of a Travel Award, please go to the Conference Management Desk at Registration, Convention Center, Second Level, Hall C Lobby.
ON-LINE APPLICATION AVAILABLE HERE:
Application Deadline: August 1, 2015 at 5:00 pm EDT PAST
Contact: Christensen.firstname.lastname@example.org (include the phrase “APSDFD Travel” in the subject line)
The External Affairs Committee is responsible for the education and outreach activities of the DFD. As such, the DFD wishes to promote the subject of fluid dynamics, help those who find the financial burden of the meeting difficult and enable the participation of researchers who would be unable to attend the meeting without external support. As such, a number of both travel subsidy grants and enabling travel grants are available.
The Committee targets in particular young scientists and those not otherwise able to attend. Towards this end, the Division of Fluid Dynamics will provide a small number of individuals with financial support to attend the annual meeting. This program aims to:
- Support undergraduates to attend the annual meeting
- Support graduate students of investigators within 3 years of their faculty appointment and who lack other support to attend the annual meeting
- Support scientists from other countries to attend the meeting: preference will be given to scientists from developing countries who would not ordinarily attend the meeting.
The APS DFD provides travel subsidy grants to qualifying participants as follows:
- US, Canada, and Mexico: As required, up to approximately $500 travel subsidy (all researchers are eligible).
- Other: As required, up to approximately $1000 travel subsidy (all researchers are eligible).
- Enabling travel grants which provide full support for attendance by a select few scientists who would otherwise be unable to attend the meeting (all researchers are eligible).
Applications must be received by the abstract submission deadline: August 1, 2015 at 5:00 pm EDT.
The Division's External Affairs Committee will select award recipients. For the travel subsidy grants, preference will be given to undergraduate and graduate student presenters, and to applicants who have partial funding to support their travel costs. For the enabling travel grants, priority will be given to researchers who would not otherwise be able to attend the meeting, for whom the meeting comes at a timely point in their career and who have not previously attended a DFD meeting (applicants should address these points in their application). Generally, no more than one award will be given to applicants from the same research group, and strong preference will be given to applicants who have not received such an award in the past. Award recipients will be notified by email by approximately September 15, 2015.